I recently had a very interesting email exchange with a Greek whose name/position I will not reveal in order to respect confidentiality. Below is a text from him.
When we really start to do things, improve ourselves, revamp Greece from the ground up, perform a radical national reformation like the one Ataturk did with Turkey, no less! We need to:
- free ourselves from our toxic mindset of cheap patriotism and slash the military by 90%
- cast away our habit of being subsidized
- stop believing Greece deserves anything in modern times only because of its past. The merits of the past stay in the past.
- let's create a country we can be proud - because of our merits in modern times
- destroy our childish attitude of believing that others do not understand us
- erase our psychological obsession with blaming others, and especially Germany. Our sins are our sins. We are to blame for our own failures, not the others. If Siemens or Deutsche Telekom have abused our system, it's because our state is abusable and because we as a nation are abusable
Only if WE do these things we will have the right mindset to start enhancing our country - and only then will our brand image or our reputation improve. And that's exactly the way it should be.
Regarding the Greeks' love for putting themselves in the victim's role - I am amazed by it and find it incredible. And it's the proof of a miserable mentality with no real pride and self-esteem. Greece needs to be completely re-invented. And I believe that the April elections will be a seismic change. If you have seen the elections surveys, they are absolutely devastating.
End of quote